Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Monday! What are YOU Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Shelia over at Book Journey.
Be sure to also visit Jen and Kellee at Teach.Mentor.Text for blogs participating in the Picture Book to YA addition of  It's Monday! What Are You Reading!




Here's a look at what I read last week...


 This novel eye-opening shows how war affects families on both sides of the conflict. I won't be putting in my classroom library but would recommend it for a middle school or high school reader who enjoys realistic fiction.

 This story is filled with numerous action packed battles and many different superpowers ranging from telekinesis to shape shifting. The Cloak Society is an enjoyable twist on the Superhero plot line. I enjoyed the friendship that builds between Alex and Kirby. I loved it and can't wait to share it with students!
Barbara O'Connor has created another adventure for middle grade readers that includes a fantastic cast of characters in a quiet little southern town.  Loved it from beginning to end! As with many of her books that would make a fantastic read aloud.
Lauren Oliver just gets better with each book she writes! Her newest title is a wonderful "fairy tale" type story complete with adventure, vivid imagery, and beautiful writing. At the risk of sounding redundant...I loved it!

Books I plan to finish this week...

I started this one on Thursday but with the tragic event on Friday, I had to put it aside.My heart just couldn't take anymore.  I'm hoping to get back to it this week and finish.

Books that are on deck for this week...






So there you have it...another week of reading is in the books! Have a fantastic week among the pages!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The author of Moonbird is from Maine and I've really enjoyed some of his other non-fiction titles.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. So pleased to hear a great review of Spindlers! I picked it up for my daughter for Christmas hoping it was going to be great. Ironically I also picked up Cloak Society for my son! And always, I LOVE Barbara O'Connor! Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week of MG reading...but in my opinion...2012 has just been a really strong all round reading year for middle grade readers.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I have Spindlers waiting for me.. once I complete the last few Nerdys I wanted to read before voting!

    So glad you liked Cloak Society - my son and I loved it. I need to get a copy for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I book talked Cloak Society on Thursday of last week and the waiting list is long! If your son hasn't read Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendent he might like that one too. Cloak reminded of it in many ways.

      I really don't think it's possible that Lauren Oliver could write something that I wouldn't like! I've loved both her YA and MG titles. I think she needs to add a picture book to the list... just sayin'!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'll have to pick up more titles by Oliver. This was my first one by her. I'll check for the Max Quick book.

      Delete
  4. I love Lauren Oliver too! Spindlers is the only book of hers I haven't read. I have the audio checked out right now, though. Glad to hear good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cloak Society was awesome, but I also really liked Dear Blue Sky and The White Zone. You had a lot of good titles this week!

    ReplyDelete